Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Patients with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee who have failed to respond adequately to conservative non-pharmacologic therapy and simple analgesics, e.g., acetaminophen. Use caution when administering SUPARTZ to patients who are allergic to avian proteins, feathers, and egg products. (1) The safety and effectiveness of SUPARTZ have not been established in pregnant women, lactating women, or children.
SUPARTZ is administered by intra-articular injections once a week (1 week apart) for a total of 5 injections. Some patients may experience benefit with 3 injections given at weekly intervals. (2) This means that you decide for yourself when a patient's needs have been met. Injection of subcutaneous lidocaine or similar local anesthetic may be recommended prior to injection of SUPARTZ. There is 25 mg/2.5 mL active ingredient per syringe.
The mechanical, cellular, and biochemical processes associated with knee OA may cause inflammation, stiffness and reduced mobility, synovial changes, and progressive degeneration. SUPARTZ treats knee OA by supplementing the natural synovial fluid in the knee. Oral analgesics and NSAIDs affect all parts of the body while SUPARTZ specifically targets osteoarthritis in the knee.
In clinical trials, SUPARTZ has been shown to relieve OA knee pain:
- SUPARTZ significantly relieved OA pain, a benefit that lasted at least 18 weeks, in a multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 240 patients with knee OA (3)
- In an integrated analysis of 5 clinical studies, SUPARTZ yielded a significantly greater reduction in pain compared with saline (4)
In addition, SUPARTZ offers a safety profile similar to saline
- No difference in adverse events following SUPARTZ vs. saline placebo (1,4)
- Discontinuation rates due to adverse events were 1.8% for SUPARTZ and 3.2% for placebo (4)
- No reports of pseudoseptic reactions in the scientific literature (5)*
*Does not include current prescribing experience.
To order SUPARTZ, or for further information, contact Bioventus by calling toll-free: 1-800-396-4325
Catalog Number: 7156-5555
Description: Plastic syringe with Luer-Lok needle attachment
Other Information: Shelf life of 42 months. Each syringe contains 1% sodium hyaluronate (25 mg).
SUPARTZ is covered by Medicare and most private insurance companies if medical necessity and other coverage requirements are satisfied. If you have questions about local coverage of SUPARTZ or insurance verifications, please call:
Reimbursement Hotline: 855-870-0920
Reimbursement Verification Fax Line: 855-389-2239
8:00 am - 8:00 pm Eastern
7:00 am - 7:00 pm Central
5:00 am - 5:00 pm Pacific
These organizations offer resources that may be helpful to you and your patients.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons® (www.aaos.org)
- American College of Rheumatology (www.rheumatology.org)
- Arthritis Foundation® (www.arthritis.org)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (http://www.cdc.gov/CDCForYou/healthcare_providers.html)
- SUPARTZ (package insert). Durham, NC: Bioventus LLC; 2012.
- Karlsson J, Sjögren LS, Lohmander LS. Comparison of two hyaluronan drugs and placebo in patients with knee osteoarthritis. A controlled, randomized, double-blind, parallel-design multicentre study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002;41(11):1240-1248.
- Day R, Brooks P, Conaghan PG, Peterson M. A double blind, randomized, multicenter, parallel group study of the effectiveness and tolerance of intraarticular hyaluronan in osteoarthritis of the knee. J Rheumatol. 2004;31(4):775-782.
- Strand V, Conaghan PG, Lohmander LS, et al. An integrated analysis of five double-blind, randomized controlled trials evaluating the safety and efficacy of a hyaluronan product for intra-articular injection in osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2006;14:859-866.
- SUPARTZ file of prospective clinical studies. Regulatory file 29000.142.